Sunday, February 16, 2020

575. EVOL

EVOL
Sonic Youth
1986














Tracks
1. Tom Violence
2. Shadow of a Doubt
3. Star Power
4. In the Kingdom #19
5. Green Light
6. Death to Our Friends
7. Secret Girls
8. Marilyn Moore
9. Expressway to Yr. Skull


So even this genre's champions have to concede that the sound is more similar to noise than music, hence the label "noise rock." 

There's one Sonic Youth song I really like, "Catholic Block" but it's not on this album. This certainly wasn't the worst thing I've ever heard, but I thought it was without form and without tune.  A couple weren't so bad, but for the most part, the album was grating.

I hope you enjoyed our brief respite from heavy metal. But worry not, because Paul Simon and XTC are on the horizon.

RATING: 2/5

1 comment:

  1. That review is accurate. This is a big ugly noisy mess. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time I hated an album on first listen then liked it on second. We'll see. For now I will say the listmakers brought us Sonic Youth at least one album too early.

    ReplyDelete