Tuesday, May 16, 2017

516. Duck Rock

Duck Rock
Malcolm McLaren
1983














Tracks
1. Obatala
2. Buffalo Gals
3. Double Dutch
4. Merengue
5. Punk It Up
6. Legba
7. Jive My Baby
8. Song For Chango
9. Soweto
10. World's Famous
11. Duck For The Oyster


Having visited Malcolm McLaren's grave last year, I came into this album with a certain kind of softness; I was ready to be kind.  But wow, this was a rough one.

Like most people, I have only known Malcolm McLaren through his work with the Sex Pistols and hadn't heard his own music.  This album is styled like a radio show and...what can I say? It was odd, jarring, and not all rhythmic.  I suppose that isn't the point of his music.  The point is...well, I've never understood what the point is, which is probably obvious.

Duck Stab, Duck Rock...can we agree to stay away from the mallards please?

RATING: 2/5

3 comments:

  1. Jarring was an excellent word to use. always felt that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like someone is still traumatized by the duck stab incident, which is understandable. I find this album pretty good, but not really sure it's great enough to be on the List. One would hope for some purely African music instead. We're halfway into the 1980's and it's all US and UK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And western Europe, actually. True world music not until 1984 looking ahead.

    ReplyDelete