Tuesday, November 10, 2015

403. Honky Tonk Masquerade

Honky Tonk Masquerade
Joe Ely
1978















Tracks
1. Cornbread Moon
2. Because of the Wind
3. Boxcars
4. Jericho (Your Walls Must Come Tumbling Down)
5. Tonight I Think I'm Gonna Go Downtown
6. Honky Tonk Masquerade
7. I'll Be Your Fool
8. Fingernails
9. West Texas Waltz
10. Honky Tonkin'


I don't think we have had an American album for awhile, but we return now to the United States and to a rather frightening genre from albums past: country music.  I know a lot of people absolutely hate country music.  When I have been on dates (I swear it does happen!) and casting around for conversations subjects, the question "what kind of music do you like?" always comes up.  I swear, every guy I have asked this question to has responded "anything but country."  Every.  Time.  When did people get so boring? 

Anyway, I think country music can be quite beautiful but it can also be the worst thing you've ever heard (after all these years, I haven't forgotten Louvin brothers).  Thankfully, this was somewhere in between.  Yes, there were a few things that made me cringe, like the beginning of the song "I'll Be Your Fool."  Overall, however, this album was a pleasant surprise, with smart lyrics and catchy melodies.  My favorite song was "Jericho" but this album doesn't actually have that many lows.

America didn't embarrass me that much with this album.  But we still have disco for that I suppose.

RATING: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment