Sunday, April 13, 2014

359. Joan Armatrading

Joan Armatrading
Joan Armatrading
1976














Tracks
1. Down To Zero
2. Help Yourself
3. Water With The Wine
4. Love And Affection
5. Save Me
6. Join The Boys
7. People
8. Somebody Who Loves You
9. Like Fire
10. Tall In The Saddle


As soon as I started listening to this album, I was smiling.  This is a really fantastic album and it is a shame that more people haven't heard of her.

I am going to make this review nice and short, since my stress level is starting to reach an alarming height.  

Upon the release of this album, it was said that "we now have a black artist in Britain with the same sort of vocal range, originality (in fact even greater originality in terms of musical influences) and lyrical sensitivity as Joni Mitchell".  It is exciting to listen to a black female artist (have we had one since Sarah Vaughn?) and even more exciting to hear her compared to one of my favorite female artists.

"Down to Zero" is, of course, a great track but I was really intrigued with "Water With The Wine".  It is extremely catchy, albeit a bit alarming.  Everything was consensual...right?

Just a beautiful album that deserves its place in our list and our hearts (groan, I hate that I wrote that!).

RATING: 5/5

2 comments: