Saturday, August 31, 2013

336. Pieces of the Sky

Pieces of the Sky
Emmylou Harris
1975














Tracks
1. Bluebird Wine 
2. Too Far Gone 
3. If I Could Only Win Your Love
4. Boulder To Birmingham 
5. Before Believing
6. Bottle Let Me Down 
7. Sleepless Nights 
8. Coat Of Many Colors 
9. For No One 
10. Queen Of The Silver Dollar


Well I am sick with some cold that seems designed to make me as unattractive as possible (we are talking Gollum voice and runny and raw nose).  Subsequently, I missed a fun family dinner and spent my Saturday night listening to this album and I have to say, there are worse ways to spend your time.

I loved Emmylou's voice; it was very unique and interesting.  My main problem with this album is the backing vocals, which seemed to be mostly comprised of men.  I would have preferred to just hear her voice; the backing vocals seemed to transform the ballads into songs that almost sounded like hymns.

I was pleased to see that the album contained a few love songs, my favorite being "Too Far Gone".  It was kind of refreshing to get such personal songs; I am used to songs about how much society sucks: we are in the seventies after all.

This is not necessarily my genre of choice but it was a good album that I would definitely recommend.

RATING: 4/5

Too Far Gone:




No comments:

Post a Comment