Sunday, March 17, 2013

320. The Grand Tour

The Grand Tour
George Jones
1974














Tracks
1. Grand Tour
2. Darlin'
3. Pass Me By (If You're Only Passing Through)
4. She'll Love the One She's With
5. Once You've Had the Best
6. Weatherman
7. Borrowed Angel
8. She Told Me So
9. Mary Don't Go 'Round
10. Who Will I Be Loving Now
11. Our Private Life


This album should be titled "Every Country Music Album Ever".  Not the most creative title, I will admit, but it is an accurate one.  Jones sounds almost exactly like Conway Twitty (in fact, Twitty did several covers of Jones' songs).

This album is full of rather depressing ballads which talk about his failed marriage.  In fact, the only slightly cheery song is about how tabloids ruin stars' lives.  I suppose this could be a satisfying album if you were going through a painful divorce.  Still, honky tonk takes its toll; I had to stop and take breaks throughout the album.

Not my cup of tea.  Supposed to be filled with great songs about heartbreak but no particular lyric stuck with me.

RATING: 1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment